Cockroach Control Tips For San Diego County Residents
April 28, 2022
Finding cockroaches in your San Diego home is never a fun experience, so how do you keep them away? These pests are dangerous to infest your home and property, so knowing the best way to get rid of cockroaches and effective cockroach prevention is crucial to keeping your family safe this year. Finding reliable pest control in San Diego will always be your safest option, but we've got all kinds of facts and tips that you'll want to know about as well.
Types Of Cockroaches That Invade San Diego Homes
There are thousands of different types of cockroaches in the world, but most aren't interested in infesting your humble abode. Most species can't survive in the conditions that homes provide! There are only a handful of different types of cockroaches that thrive in domestic environments, and even fewer in San Diego:
- American cockroach – over two inches long, dark reddish-brown with a yellow circle behind their heads, winged
- German cockroach – ½ to 5/8 of an inch long, light brown with two dark stripes behind their heads, winged
- Brown-banded cockroach – ½ of an inch long, dark brown with light brown bands around their wings and abdomens, winged
- Oriental cockroach – one and a half inches long, dark brown to black, not winged
Should I Be Worried If I See One Cockroach In My San Diego Home?
Cockroaches may not be colony-centered like bees and wasps, but they never infest alone. Finding one cockroach in your home generally means there are even more hiding away in the shadows, so to prevent that from happening you'll want to know how to keep cockroaches away:
- Clean up any yard debris around the exterior of your property
- Address any moisture issues around the interior and exterior – aerate the soil, check for leaky pipes and extensive water damage, try not to over-water your garden areas, invest in a dehumidifier for moisture-retaining rooms
- Seal up any potential entry points around the exterior, from foundation to roof
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum regularly to keep food particles off the floor
- Wipe down counters and dining tables daily
- Practice proper food storage by storing pantry foods in airtight containers
- Never leave food or dirty dishes sitting out overnight
- Keep tight-fitting lids on all indoor and outdoor trash cans
Why Can't I Get Rid Of Cockroaches On My Own?
It takes a lot of time, training, and research to know what products and methods are the best for pest extermination, and not everyone has that kind of time on their hands. Cockroaches are some of the most difficult pests to eliminate, especially since popular pesticide brands are largely ineffective against them – cockroaches are resistant to most chemicals and treatments. Not only that, but most store-bought pesticides are contact killers, and with how easily cockroaches slip through cracks, they can easily avoid them.
Where Can I Find Effective And Safe Cockroach Control In San Diego?
Cockroaches are huge vectors for spreading diseases, making them incredibly dangerous to have in your San Diego home, but you don't want to trade dangerous diseases for dangerous chemicals. Luckily, you don't have to – you can receive effective, eco-friendly pest control in San Diego from our pest experts at HomeShield Pest Control. Our treatments are low-impact and safe for the environment, and we provide a variety of treatment plans that are affordable for any budget. The best way to get rid of cockroaches is with us, so if you're struggling with an infestation, reach out today to find out how we can help.