How To Keep Pesky Raccoons Away From Your Vero Beach Home
February 16, 2023
A raccoon may look cute and cuddly from a distance, but you do not want to have this animal around your property. They are sneaky and destructive creatures that can cause a lot of problems for you and your family. If you see any raccoons around your home, HomeShield Pest Control knows just what to do. We provide comprehensive pest control in Vero Beach and know exactly how to solve your raccoon problem.
Raccoons Just Love Having Us For Neighbors
Raccoons are wildlife animals commonly found in the forest or other rural areas. However, these animals have become more common in cities and residential areas over the last few decades.
One of the reasons they like residential areas is that they have an endless food supply. Raccoons are omnivores that like to eat both plants and animals. They love to devour fruits, nuts, fish, eggs, berries, insects, and rodents. But when it comes to eating, they are not too picky. In residential areas, raccoons will raid your gardens and trash cans in search of a meal.
Raccoons On Your Property Can Be A Bigger Problem Than You Think
Raccoons are destructive little creatures that can cause a lot of damage to your home and property. Some of the problems that raccoons can cause around your home include:
- Home damage: Raccoons will occasionally come inside your home to find a place to nest. They can use their hands to tear apart your vents and shingles on the roof to access your attic space.
- Landscape damage: They can also dig holes in your yard to look for worms, grubs, and other underground insects.
- Other property damage. Raccoons will destroy your personal property and cause a huge mess around your house. They can knock over potted plants and trash cans, which can be a hassle to clean up.
Raccoons can also spread harmful diseases and viruses by leaving their droppings all over your yard. Some of the illnesses and parasites you can catch from raccoons include leptospirosis, salmonellosis, and roundworm.
Effective Tips To Deter Raccoons Around Your Home
If you want to keep raccoons away from your property, you can try these easy and effective raccoon control tips:
- Keep a tight lid on your trash can. You can also secure the trash can lid with a bungee strap or place a heavy object on top of the lid to prevent the raccoon from opening it.
- Keep your yard clean. Remove old tree limbs or debris from your yard to eliminate hiding places.
- Get a sprinkler system. Raccoons tend to scare easily. One way to keep them out of your yard is to have a motion-activated sprinkler system. A sprinkler will not harm the raccoon, but it will scare it away.
- Remove any food source. Keep bird feeders away from your home. Also, don't leave pet food bowls outside for long periods.
Raccoons will also come into your yard looking for a viable water source. If you have a raccoon problem, you should remove bird baths from your yard and cover your swimming pool with a durable pool cover.
Call The Pros For The Safe Removal Of Raccoons
In Florida, it is illegal to trap a raccoon without a license. If you have a raccoon problem on your Vero Beach property, you should call us as soon as possible. At HomeShield Pest Control, we have years of experience dealing with raccoons and other wildlife animals commonly found in this area. Give us a call today to have the raccoons safely removed from your property.