The Dangers Pests Bring To San Diego County Properties
August 27, 2021
There's only one continent on this world that's free of pests, and unless you plan on abandoning civilization to retire in the Antarctic, your San Diego County home will always be at risk of pest infestations. It's true that some pests are more nuisance than dangerous, but there are still quite a few that pose a significant threat to you, your home, and your property. It's easy to underestimate their capabilities when they're small and unassuming, but if left unchecked, pest infestations can spell trouble for your health and your bank account.
Dangerous Pests To Watch Out For In San Diego County
While you may not be too bothered to find silverfish or sugar ants in your San Diego County home, finding a nest full of cockroaches hiding underneath a storage box will definitely set you on edge. Unfortunately, the cockroach is only one of many dangerous pests found around San Diego County neighborhoods:
- Certain species of ants
All of these pests are dangerous to either your health or your home, and some like rodents and fire ants are actually capable of both. Rats and mice transmit harmful diseases in their saliva and excrement while they're chewing up your rafters, and a colony of fire ants will decimate electrical wires while also delivering a wicked sting. Too many stings from fire ants can cause a pretty nasty reaction. Surprisingly enough, bed bugs aren't actually classified as dangerous pests, but a bad enough infestation can cause anemia and restless sleep.
How To Maintain Pest Prevention On Your San Diego County Property
Since you're looking at a wide range of different pests to prevent, you'll also have a laundry list of preventative measures for pests. Thankfully though, a lot of these tips overlap for multiple pests:
- Repair any gaps, cracks, and holes around the exterior of your home; siding, foundation, around pipes and electrical wires, roof, and trim.
- Fix any leaky pipes and extensive water damage.
- Replace worn-down insulation around windows and door frames.
- Proper food storage; keep all dried goods in airtight containers, and never leave food sitting out overnight.
- Clean up any food and drink spills immediately after they occur.
- Wipe down all counters and food prep areas daily.
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum regularly to keep food particles off of the floor.
- Make sure your yard is draining properly by aerating the soil.
- Try not to over-water your garden if applicable, and avoid adding too many flowering plants.
- Remove any wood, leaf, mulch, and miscellaneous debris piles from the perimeter of your home.
- Keep tight-fitting lids on all indoor and outdoor trash cans.
- Clean outdoor eating and food prep areas immediately after use.
- Trim back any overhanging tree branches and unruly shrubs.
- Fill in ground holes and old rodent nests around your property.
Why You Should Call The Pros For Your San Diego County Pest Control Needs
Dangerous or not, nobody likes unsightly pests in their home. Store-bought pesticides may look like effective solutions to unwanted pests, but they're hardly if ever effective enough, and they often contain harmful chemicals that can hurt you and your loved ones. If you're looking for effective, affordable pest control, then you're looking for HomeShield Pest Control.
Our highly-trained pest technicians are fully equipped with the best pest eco-friendly control products on the market, meaning you get all the perks without any of the dangerous side effects. We care about the health and safety of our customers just as much as we care about 100% satisfaction, and that's why we have our satisfaction guarantee. If you notice any pests return after we've treated your property, we come right back out and treat again at no additional cost. Don't try to coexist with household pests; get in contact with us today and receive pest control for your San Diego County home.