The Importance Of Quality Termite Control For Your Orange County Home
February 06, 2023
Subterranean and drywood termites are the most common types of termites that you will find in Orange County. Both of these species are incredibly destructive and can cause a lot of damage to your property. If you think you may have termites on your property, HomeShield Pest Control is here to help. We have been providing comprehensive pest control in Orange County for many years, and we know what it takes to get these invasive and destructive creatures off your property.
About The Termite Caste System
Termites build intricate colonies that consist of several thousand termites. To keep the colony functioning properly, every termite has a job to do. Once a termite fully matures, it will belong to one of the three castes:
- Workers: This is the most common type of termite. Worker termites make up about 90 percent of most colonies. The worker termite is responsible for building underground tunnels, taking care of the young termites, and foraging. The workers have many jobs, which they are able to do well despite being completely blind.
- Soldiers: The soldiers have white bodies with dark brown heads. They usually make up two to five percent of the colony. Their main job is to defend the colony if there is a breach in the tunnel system.
- Reproductives: As their name suggests, reproductives are responsible for mating and laying eggs. Reproductive termites have wings and are called swarmers. Swarmers will leave the colony in order to establish another. Once they start their own colony, they will be the queen and the king of the colony. After they mate, they will discard their wings. The reproductives are the only termites with eyes and the only termites that leave the colony.
Sometimes, a worker termite will become a soldier or a reproductive. However, for the most part, worker termites will remain workers for their entire lives.
The Extent Of Damage Termites Can Cause To Your Home
Termites may be small, but they have saw-toothed jaws that allow them to easily consume a lot of wood in a short amount of time. On average, a subterranean termite will consume up to five grams of wood every day. If you have a large colony in your home, your house could suffer structural damage if the termite problem is left untreated.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Termites To Your Home
Termites are attracted to moist and humid spaces. Here is a look at some of the things that you can do to prevent termites from invading your property:
- Keep firewood, limbs, and other debris away from the outside of your home.
- Fix any leaky pipes that you may have around your home.
- Make sure your crawl spaces have proper ventilation.
- Install a gutter system on your home with a downspout and backsplashes to prevent water from accumulating near your home.
It is also a good idea to use mulch around your home as sparingly as possible. Termites are attracted to mulch because not only is it made of wood, but it also retains moisture.
The Benefits Of Year-Round Professional Termite Control
In Orange County, termites can be a year-round problem, meaning you will have to stay consistent with your termite control solutions. At HomeShield Pest Control, we can provide regular treatment to your property which will help to keep the termites from invading your property. Give us a call today for a free estimate.