What are birds?
There is nothing more peaceful than seeing birds gliding through the air. However, their sweet nature can be short-lived when they decide to make your yard or home into a roosting or nesting spot. While many birds cause us no problems and nest quietly in our yard in trees or shrubs, others are destructive, dangerous, and annoying. Two of the most common species of pest birds living throughout California are the woodpecker and pigeon.
Pigeons are among the most problematic pest birds that property owners have to deal with throughout the year. Pigeons are often referred to as “rodents” of the bird world because of their invasive nature, the diseases they spread, and the damage they cause. Pigeons have light gray bodies, grayish-pink beaks, and dark bars of color that run across their wings.
Woodpeckers are birds known for the unique and sometimes unrelenting noises they make when pecking at trees or wooden structures. These birds peck for several reasons, including finding and gathering insects, claiming territory, making a nest, and attracting a mate. Male woodpeckers have some red coloring on their heads, and males and females usually have black and white patterned feathers on their bodies.
Are birds dangerous?
There are many problems that birds can cause when they decide to take up residence on our California properties. Below are some of the more troublesome reasons we need to keep pests birds off our properties.
- Bird feces contain millions of fungus spores and many other pathogens that make people ill. Bird feces are also corrosive and will cause damage to roof shingles and the exterior of buildings.
- A bird’s nesting materials and feathers will clog and damage a home or commercial building’s vents, fans, and air conditioners.
- Birds will attack, feed on, and damage gardens, bird feeders, and fruit trees.
- Woodpeckers will damage the sides of buildings and trees with their pecking behaviors.
- Birds can damage lawns, gardens, parks, fields, and golf courses as they dig up the grass to find worms and insects to eat.
- Birds carry fleas and ticks, which they will introduce onto your property.
Why do I have a bird problem?
Birds live outside all around us; they have adapted to living in urban areas as well as rural and suburban areas. As time has gone by, pest birds have discovered our residential and commercial properties provide them with food and shelter.
More often than not, we pay no attention to birds, sometimes seeing them flying across our properties or hearing their sweet chirps. However, there are some birds we can’t help but pay attention to. Pest birds are species of birds whose hazards outweigh their benefits.
Below are some things that attract birds to our properties and make them think that they are welcome.
- Bird feeders
- Open trash cans and compost bins
- Standing water
- Lots of dense shrubbery or landscaping
- Well watered, healthy lawns that have a lot of insect and worm activity
Where are birds commonly found?
Birds are found in various places and won’t hesitate to make nesting or roosting sites in our yards, on our homes, or in our homes. Trees, shrubs, bushes, play structures, light fixtures, and your home or outbuilding's roof are places we regularly discover bird nests and roosting sites.
Pest birds that have moved into a home or other structure usually take up residence inside attics, chimneys, roof eaves, rafters, and behind wall voids. Electrical equipment and ventilation systems are other places pest birds build nests or create roosting sites.
How do I get rid of birds?
Getting rid of and preventing problems with pests birds is tricky and is best done with the help of a professional. Once they discover food or shelter, they will keep returning. At HomeShield Pest Control, the safety of our customers and their families is our top priority. We will remove and prevent the return of pest birds from your property through our humane bird control services.
Whether you are dealing with noisy woodpeckers, filthy pigeons, or another type of bird, our professionals are here to help! If you live in the Sacramento Valley or Southern California area and would like to learn more about our residential or commercial bird control services, reach out to HomeShield Pest Control today!
How can I prevent birds in the future?
Here are some of our most helpful bird prevention tips to protect your California property from the birds that call our region home:
- Place metal sheeting over the siding that woodpeckers are attacking to force them to move somewhere else.
- Hang objects around or on your structures that are reflective or make noise to scare away birds.
- Regularly clean debris from your gutters.
- Keep lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins.
- Remove bird feeders from your yard.
- Keep outdoor eating areas free of food debris.
- Regularly harvest fruits and vegetables from gardens and trees to limit food sources even further.
Our California Pest Control Services
In California, we provide reliable home pest control and commercial pest control solutions.
Home Pest Control
Learn more about home pest control in California.
Commercial Pest Control
Learn more about commercial pest control in California.