Bed bugs are miserable pests but, as bugs go, there are far worse offenders to have in your home. Some pests can deliver venomous bites or stings or spread harmful illnesses and diseases. Is this also the case with bed bugs? Let's take a look at all the problems and dangers associated with the bed bugs in Orange County.
Bed Bugs Can Develop A Resistance To Chemicals
We strongly discourage the use of over-the-counter sprays for the control of bed bugs. Not only can they be a threat to your health, but they are also nearly entirely ineffective. Sprays are topical. They don't get into the cracks, crevices, and voids where bed bugs live. If you attempt to kill them with toxic sprays, you could accidentally make yourself sick as the bed bugs may climb on your skin at night and expose you to those toxic sprays as they attempt to get a blood meal from you. This is likely to be the worst-case scenario.
Bed Bugs Bite
We have some good news. Bed bugs do not have venom and they are not currently linked to the spread of diseases. If you are bitten by a bed bug, the likely outcome is that you may have itchy welts on your skin. That's about it. However, bed bug bites aren't entirely harmless. Here are a few things you should know about bed bug bites:
- Each bed bug bites more than once if it can. Usually, it will bite three times. Entomologists jokingly refer to these bites as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But getting bitten by bed bugs repeatedly is no joking matter. Just ten bed bugs can leave thirty bites on your skin.
- Bed bug bites start small but often become large with ongoing exposure. At first, you may see only slight red marks on your skin, but bites can start to be rashy and irritating or turn into painful welts.
- If you scratch bed bug bites, they can turn into open wounds. These need to be kept clean or disinfected to prevent the spread of infection.
- If you are bitten routinely by bed bugs, you can develop anemia. This is a condition where there is a lack of healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to the tissue in your body. There are many symptoms associated with anemia. You may experience fatigue, muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, chest pain, shortness of breath, lack of circulation, jaundice, headaches, and more.
Bed Bugs Keep You Up At Night
If you have a fear of bed bugs, or it disturbs you to think that bugs will come out at night and feed on you while you're sleeping, this can keep you up. Loss of sleep can lead to several problems:
- Schoolwork and tests can be difficult as cognitive function is impaired.
- Your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle can be compromised.
- Depression, anxiety, and thoughts of suicide can occur with extended sleep deprivation.
- Ongoing sleep deprivation can increase your risk of heart problems, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, and more.
You will probably deal with bed bugs long before you experience any of these symptoms, but it is important to understand that living with an ongoing disruption of your sleep can have serious consequences.
Bed Bugs Can Impact Your Social Life
When friends and family find out that you have a bed bug problem, it can make it difficult to plan gatherings such as birthday parties, sleepovers, cookouts, game nights, etc. While not dangerous, it is certainly a big drawback to having a bed bug infestation.
Bed Bugs Can Drive You Crazy
There are a lot of suggestions on the internet for how you can get rid of bed bugs in your Orange County home. The majority of them will leave you frustrated, exhausted, and lighter in the wallet. Bed bugs aren't easy to exterminate. You can go at these bugs over and over and over again.
The best solution is to contact a licensed Orange County, CA pest control professional and invest in a proper bed bug treatment. There is nothing worse than wasting a lot of time, energy, and money, only to turn around and spend money to have a professional deal with the problem. Skip the middleman and go straight to professional control with these bugs.
Your Orange County Pest Control Experts
If you live in Orange County and bed bugs have gotten into your home, remember that the service team at HomeShield Pest Control is always available to help you with pest issues. We can evaluate your infestation and guide you toward which of our bed bug control treatments is the right solution for your specific needs and budget.
We use field-tested strategies and industry-leading bed bug control products to make sure your bed bug infestation is remediated. You don't have to let the bed bugs bite. Contact HomeShield Pest Control today. We can help!