If you've found bed bugs in your Sacramento home, it is likely that you have questions, lots of questions. We hope to answer those questions today. There are only a few commonly asked bed bug questions and we're going to cover them today. Take a look and see if your questions can be found below.
What Is The Main Cause Of Bed Bugs?
This is an interesting question because it gets to the heart of a commonly misunderstood fact about bed bugs. There are many who still believe that bed bugs are attracted to dirty homes and that only dirty people get bed bugs. This couldn't be further from the truth. Bed bugs don't decide where they're going to live. They spread passively from one location to another.
If you get bed bugs, it isn't because they came in from the outside - and don't expect them to go back outside because they don't live out there. They are indoor pests. If you find these bugs in your home, it is because they hitched a ride into your home. The only exception is that they came into your home from another location within the structure you live in. If you live in a multifamily home, an apartment complex, or similar arrangements, these bugs can come into your home through the walls.
Where Can Bed Bugs Be Found?
Whether in your home, in another home, or in a business, bed bugs will be found hiding in compressed areas, creases, cracks, and crevices. They have a preference for tight spaces. They may also be found in the dark voids within objects, or inside the voids of a structure.
If you have an infestation, a good place to examine first is your bed - obviously. But it is far from the only place you should examine. The warning signs you need to look for are:
- Shed insect skins.
- Black streaks, stains, or specks.
- Brown stains on fabrics and upholstery.
- Tiny white eggs in batches, or individual eggs scattered about.
- Tiny insects that range from 1mm to 5mm in length.
- Tiny insects that are pale, tan, or rusty brown.
- Tiny insects that have a transparent skin; Inside these insects, you should see red blood or black excrement.
Do Bed Bugs Spread Diseases?
At the time of this writing, there are no reported cases of bed bug-to-human disease transmission. There is research evidence that shows bed bugs have the ability to transmit diseases but there are no real-world cases. Yet.
What Health Risks Do Bed Bugs Pose?
If a bed bug infestation goes untreated, there can be a few issues. They are all likely to be mitigated before they present a threat.
- Anemia can occur when any pest routinely draws blood from you.
- Bite wounds can be itchy. When scratched, they can turn into open wounds and this can lead to an infection if not keep clean or disinfected.
- If you are fearful of bed bugs, it can cause you to lose sleep. Over time, this can present health issues and make operating a motor vehicle dangerous.
- It is hard to have a social life when friends or family find out that you have bed bugs in your home. While not a direct medical threat, it can lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns.
What Home Remedies Get Rid Of Bed Bugs?
We don't recommend natural remedies for bed bugs, such as vinegar spray or diatomaceous earth. These don't work. But there are some natural ways you can deal with bed bugs. Here are two recommendations:
- If you have an infested item that can be put through a 30-minute dryer cycle, you can put the item in the dryer to arrest the infestation. High temperatures kill bed bugs in all stages of development.
- If you have an item that can't go in your dryer, you may be able to put it in a sealed plastic bag and put it in your freezer for a week. This will have the same effect.
If bed bugs are in your bed, or another piece of furniture, it is best to contact a licensed pest professional for a treatment. Throwing your bed out is not likely to correct your infestation. These bugs can be anywhere including inside the structure of your home.
What Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs can be extremely difficult to exterminate. If you live in Sacramento, the best course of action is to contact HomeShield Pest Control. Our licensed and experienced bed bug control professionals use a multi-pronged strategy to ensure the most effective treatment of bed bugs.
Don't settle for anything less. While bed bugs aren't a serious medical threat, they're horrible house guests. Get rid of those bugs by reaching out to us today for immediate assistance. We also provide effective services for Sacramento businesses.