How Do I Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation In My Vero Beach Home?
February 14, 2023
Ants are a common problem in Vero Beach. These tiny insects are not only annoying, but they can also be potentially dangerous to have around. If you have been seeing a lot of ants in your home, you need the help of an experienced Vero Beach pest control specialist. At HomeShield Pest Control, we can tell you everything that you need to know about dealing with an ant infestation.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Ant Has Invaded My Home?
Vero Beach is home to a wide variety of ant species. It can be challenging to correctly identify what type of ant is in your home because all ants have a similar appearance. However, every species has unique characteristics and habits that allow them to stand apart from the crowd. Here is a look at some of the different types of ants that you are most likely to find in your home:
- Sugar ants: There are several types of sugar ants in this area. They can vary in color, but they are usually black or a combination of black and red. Despite their name, sugar ants will eat almost anything, including rotten food, dead carcasses, and of course, sugar.
- Fire ants: This type of ant gets its name from the color of its body and from the painful sting that it can deliver. The fire ant usually lives in large colonies outdoors, but they have been known to come inside on occasion.
- Carpenter ants: Most homeowners fear this type of ant the most. Similar to termites, carpenter ants can consume wood and destroy homes.
All of the ants on this list like to travel and live in large groups. This means that if you see one ant in your home, there is a good chance that there is a lot more hiding nearby.
Does An Ant Infestation Mean My Home Is Dirty?
Ants are attracted to food, not filth. If you have your pet's food out in the open, or you have other food not properly stored away, the ants could try to come into your home. And while ants are attracted to rotten foods that are found in the garbage, your home does not have to be unclean for them to find these things.
Why Do I Have An Ant Infestation In My Home?
Ants will come into your home in search of food or water. Some of the things that could be attracting ants to your home include:
- Accessible food sources: If you have candy, chips, or food that is not stored in an airtight container, an ant will be able to get to it. Also, don't forget to keep your pet food properly stored in a container with a lid as well.
- Plenty of water: Ants are also attracted to moisture. If you have any leaky pipes or faucets around your home, you should have them fixed immediately.
- Viable shelter: During the winter, and other times of extreme weather, ants will try to find a safe place to live.
If you want to keep ants out of your home, the best thing to do is to look for any gaps or cracks around your home and seal them up. Because ants are so small, they can find an entrance in gaps that are only about one millimeter wide.
What's The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In My House?
If you are looking for an easy way to keep ants out of your Vero Beach home, HomeShield Pest Control is here to help. We know how to get rid of ants and keep them from coming back in the future. Give us a call today for a free quote.