How Dangerous Are Mice In The Sacramento Region?
December 20, 2021
While you might expect to run across insects in your home or business at some point, there is another pest that is extremely dangerous and destructive that is too often forgotten and overlooked. The house mouse is a small rodent found in the Sacramento region, and despite looking furry and cute, it can cause some rather ugly issues for property owners.
In fact, house mice are the most common rodent in the country. Although they originated in Asia long ago, they have become widespread throughout the world over the centuries, and they even have a dependent relationship with humans. They rely on us for shelter and access to food and water, and because they can reproduce so rapidly, it can be difficult to control them once they make their way inside.
What Do House Mice Look Like?
House mice have a dusty gray fur color and cream-colored underbellies. They are quite small and usually only get around four to six inches long, including their tails. They have pointed muzzles, and their ears are relatively big in comparison to their body size.
The Many Dangers Of House Mice
While being invasive is frustrating enough, mice aren’t just nuisance pests. They are able to cause property damage and pose health risks.
First of all, mice have the need to constantly chew on things as this keeps their teeth from getting too large. They can gnaw through a wide range of materials, even strong ones such as wood and plastic. Mice will destroy plumbing, electrical wires, furniture, clothing, drywall, and more. As an infestation grows, the damage becomes more noticeable and severe.
Secondly, there are many health risks that mice can create. These include:
- Spreading many illnesses, including salmonellosis and hantavirus
- Carrying parasites such as ticks and fleas
- Causing respiratory issues as their fur, feces, and urine build-up
Six Mouse Prevention Tips For Your Property
With all of these risks, it’s essential to prevent mice, but they are also a bit tricky to keep out. They can fit through holes the size of a dime and gnaw holes to get into a building. But, despite these challenges, there are still some things you can do to keep mice from getting inside your home or business.
Here are six steps to take:
- Use steel wool or wire mesh to repair holes and cracks in the walls and foundation.
- Make your property less appealing to mice by regularly cleaning up food and drink spills and keeping kitchens cleaned.
- Get secure lids for all trash cans both inside and outside.
- Store pet food inside the house in sealed containers.
- Reduce moisture problems around the home or business by repairing leaky plumbing. You can also use dehumidifiers if you have excess humidity inside of the building.
- Seek professional pest assistance for year-round rodent control.
Getting Rid Of Mice Effectively
Once mice are inside a property, trying to remove them is a very difficult task. Luckily, there is one effective and simple way to eradicate mice and keep them from coming back. All you have to do is give the Sacramento pest professionals at HomeShield Pest Control a call. We will work with you to come up with a pest control plan that suits your needs.
We also offer free quotes, so reach out today to get started.